Providing Psychotherapy When There is a Mental Illness in the Family
When an individual lives with a mental illness not only are families affected, they can play a significant role in recovery. This training employs a framework for family therapy in mental illness by examining family dynamics, building strengths and creating positive change among family members. The training focuses on developing practical family interventions based on family systems models that are supported by a long history of practice and are widely considered a best practice in mental health treatment.
Who Should Attend
This training is suitable for health care professionals including psychologists, family workers, social workers and psychotherapists who provide individual counseling and psychotherapy where there is a mental illness in the family. This training is also intended for health care professionals who lead groups for families dealing with mental illness.
You Will Learn To
- Understand family dynamics through the systems lens.
- Look at mental illnesses through the lens of family systems theory.
- Partner with families to create positive behaviours, improve communication skills, and set healthy boundaries.
Session Topics Include
- Differentiation of self according to Bowen
- Healthy boundaries according to Minuchen
- Solution focused and strength based intervention
- Rewriting a problem saturated story
- Calming the emotional storm using CBT, EFT and DBT
- Grounding individuals with personality disorders by acknowledging contrasting feelings and thoughts
- Empowering individuals with depression by reinforcing positive behaviors
- Distinguishing between supporting and enabling in substance use disorders
- Building healthy routines and modeling healthy lifestyles in eating disorders
- Setting and modeling healthy boundaries with individuals with complex mental health issues
Benefits of the Program
- You will be able to apply family systems theories into your practice immediately.
- Gain expertise to work with individuals and families.
- Improve outcomes for individuals and families.
This program will be evaluated through a variety of quantitative and qualitative measures to ensure that learning objectives have been met. The program can be customized to meet your educational goals and time frame.