Mental Health Skills in Home Care Settings
Health care professionals such as PSWs, companions and nurses are tasked with providing care for clients who have a range of needs, including support for mental health issues. This skills-based training focuses on practical knowledge with emphasis on learning and applying effective strategies to work with people living with mental illness. Professional competence will be developed through the use of role plays and experiential practice.
Who Should Attend
This training is suitable for support staff and nursing staff who provide day-to-day care for individuals living with chronic mental illness including depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, personality disorders, psychotic disorders, and/or substance use in a home care setting such as the client’s home or long term care.
You Will Learn To
- Understand and recognize the signs and symptoms of major mental illnesses at the behavioural level.
- Develop and execute individual care plans according to client needs and mental health challenges.
- Become skilled at applying effective communication skills that will motivate clients, facilitate change and de-escalate tension.
Session Topics Include
- Understanding common mental illnesses and their treatments
- Supporting and motivating clients with depression
- Supporting and calming clients with anxiety
- Supporting clients with psychosis; working with paranoid thoughts
- Supporting clients with confused memories
- Supporting clients with substance use issues
- Suicide prevention and intervention
- Providing practical support to seniors with mental health issues
- Differentiating between support and treatment
- Documenting the behaviours that you observe
- Co-ordinating care with family and other health care professionals
Benefits of the Program
- Develop a niche to provide expert care for people living with mental illness.
- Keep informed of the most up-to-date advancements in mental health.
- Apply skills with clients immediately.
This training will be evaluated through a variety of quantitative and qualitative measures to ensure that learning objectives have been met. The training can be customized to meet your educational goals and time frame. A Train-the-Trainer package can also be implemented in your organization.